The aim is to encourage reforms and fast track planned development of identified cities. Focus is to be on efficiency in urban Infrastructure and service delivery mechanisms, community participation, and accountability of ULBs/ Parastatal agencies towards citizens.
Objectives of the Mission
The objectives of the JNNURM are to ensure that the following are achieved in the urban sector :
• Focussed attention to integrated development of infrastructure services in cities covered under the Mission;.
• Establishment of linkages between asset-creation and asset-management through a slew of reforms for long-term project sustainability;.
• Ensuring adequate funds to meet the deficiencies in urban infrastructural services;.
• Planned development of identified cities including peri-urban areas, outgrowths and urban corridors leading to dispersed urbanisation;.
• Scale-up delivery of civic amenities and provision of utilities with emphasis on universal access to the urban poor;.
• Special focus on urban renewal programme for the old city areas to reduce congestion; and Provision of basic services to the urban poor including security of tenure at affordable prices, improved housing, water supply and sanitation, and ensuring delivery of other existing universal services of the government for education, health and social security.
Scope of the Mission
The Mission shall comprise two Sub- Missions, namely :
(1) Sub-Mission for Urban Infrastructure and Governance :-
This will be administered by the Ministry of Urban Development through the Sub- Mission Directorate for Urban Infrastructure and Governance. The main thrust of the Sub-Mission will be on infrastructure projects relating to water supply and sanitation, sewerage, solid waste management, road network, urban transport and redevelopment of old city areas with a view to upgrading infrastructure therein, shifting industrial and commercial establishments to conforming areas, etc.
(2) Sub-Mission for Basic Services to the Urban Poor :
This will be administered by the Ministry of Urban Employment and Poverty Alleviation through the Sub-Mission Directorate for Basic Services to the Urban Poor. The main thrust of the Sub-Mission will be on integrated development of slums through projects for providing shelter, basic services and other related civic amenities with a view to providing utilities to the urban poor.
For more details please visit www.jnnurm.nic.in