In the year 1815 almost half of the Garhwal state came under the British Empire. Consequently Haridwar city and Dehra (Dehradun) were included in the Saharanpur District by the British. Haridwar remained a part of Saharanpur District till the year 1997 when it was given the status of a separate District by the Uttar Pradesh Government. Haridwar became a part of Uttaranchal (Uttarakhand ) State when the new State was formed in 2000.
According to available records, Haridwar Nagar Palika was formed by merging Haridwar, Kankhal and Jwalapur on 25th May 1868 by the British. At that time Haridwar Nagar Palika Parishad was known as Nagar Palika Simant Haridwar Union. The revenue was Rs. 3000. The population of Nagar Palika Haridwar in 1971 was 77864, in 1981 was 11415, in 1991 was 147305 and in 2001 was 175010. The conduct of Nagar Palika Parishad Haridwar is done under The Nagar Palika Act 1916 which was subsequently adopted by the Uttarakhand Government in the year 2002. This Act and other Acts and Bye-Laws related to the Nagar Palika are published by the Urban Development Directorate in its Information Manual five, a copy of which is available at the Office at Nagar Palika Parishad, Haridwar. These can be accessed under RTI Act, 2005.
Since its inception Nagar Palika Parishad, Haridwar has been categorized under Class one. Before the formation of Uttarakhand State, Nagar Palika Parishad Haridwar comprised of 25 wards which remained the same till 2001-02 and now the number of wards has increased to 30.
Presently Nagar Palika Parishad is upgraded to Nagar Nigam Hariwar on 21 July 2011 vide GO No :